My Journey Seeing, Playing, Reading, and Musing about William Shakespeare in America

My journey with Shakespeare began in the 6th grade. (At least that's as far back as I can remember him in my life.) I was in English class at Pizitz Middle School in Vestavia Hills (Birmingham, Al) and we were reading Romeo and Juliet aloud. I played Sampson: "I will bite my thumb at them; which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it." and then the sword fight! From that moment, my travels with Willy Shakespeare began.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July From Willy and me!




In honor of our nation’s 235th birthday, I share with you some words on Liberty and Freedom from the Bard (who would have been 212 years old in 1776.)

Happy Fourth of July!






I am a foe to tyrants, and my country's friend.
Julius Caesar
Act V Scene iv


Having my freedom, boast of nothing else.
Richard II
Act I Scene ii


I must have liberty withal, as large a charter as the wind.
As You Like It
Act II Scene vii


Let's all cry peace, freedom, and liberty!
Julius Caesar
Act III Scene i


This liberty is all that I request.
The Taming of the Shrew
Act II Scene i


Now show yourselves men; 'tis for liberty.
King Henry VI - Part II
Act IV Scene ii


If I had my liberty, I would do my liking.
Much Ado About Nothing
Act 1 Scene iii


Freely will I speak.
Pericles
Act 1 Scene ii


Why, sir, I pray, are not the streets as free for me as for you?
Taming of the Shrew
Act 1 Scene ii


Freedom, hey-day! hey-day, freedom! freedom, hey-day, freedom!
The Tempest
Act II Scene ii

No comments:

Post a Comment