My Journey Seeing, Playing, Reading, and Musing about William Shakespeare in America

My journey with Shakespeare began in the 6th grade. (At least that's as far back as I can remember him in my life.) I was in English class at Pizitz Middle School in Vestavia Hills (Birmingham, Al) and we were reading Romeo and Juliet aloud. I played Sampson: "I will bite my thumb at them; which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it." and then the sword fight! From that moment, my travels with Willy Shakespeare began.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Willie and Me

I don't remember who that teacher was but I am thankful that she knew the most important lesson about Shakespeare - His plays were meant to be seen and heard, not read in silence.

The Elizabethans were an audience of listeners. They would say, I'm going to hear a play, not I'm going to see a play. The Elizabethan audience would pick up on words and their various meanings that we wouldn't.

- Marjorie Garber


From that enjoyable start, my journey with William Shakespeare has taken me around the world as an actor, director, fight choreographer, teacher, and most importantly as an audience member. I have see Shakespeare in parks, prisons, studio theatres, class rooms, major performance halls, and even in the great Globe herself. These performances have given me a mindful of memories and a lifetime of experience.

I have shared my passion for the Bard's work with fellow artists, students, friends and family. My daughter Callista was 3 when she first saw Hamlet at Fort Worth's Shakespeare in the Park and still remembers the Ghost (he was all in blue!)

And sharing my passion for the Bard is what this Blog is all about. I hope you enjoy my travels with Willie.

No comments:

Post a Comment